Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Shot Followup

I made Hubs go with me to my followup appointment because I was sad and needed support.  My SI felt AMAZAZING on Tuesday.  I classified it at a level 1 on the pain scale because it didn't really hurt, but I could still tell it was there.  So it wasn't 100%, but it was something I could definitely work with.  I went to Good Doc and jumped around and told him about how great this was and YAY!

Wednesday brought me back to Earth.  I awoke and could feel sharp pain.  Since the pain had changed after the shot to that achiness, I was scared something was amiss.  My first PT appointment with Megan went well, but my back continued to get worse throughout the day.  At night I cried, a little because it hurt, but a lot because I was so disheartened.  I moped around on Thursday and got a massage.

Yesterday I had a followup appointment with Dr. Sean's PA.  She was only about 45 minutes late.  I understand sometimes things come up, because I have a job where that happens.  I have never been more than 10 minutes late to an appointment with a "client."  Sometimes I have to cancel appointments, but I always think it's better to do that, rather than have someone sit around, waiting.  Then of course, I totally felt she was rushing through my appointment.  I had questions, though, and I wasn't letting her leave until I got them all answered.

The PA said when someone has pain for so long, sometimes one injection isn't enough to get rid of the inflammation.  She told me I have another option, and I forgot what it was called.  Basically, they would sedate me slightly and do a minor surgery where the doc would burn off the nerves that go to the si joint that are causing pain.  They grow back in about 6 months.  First though, I can try another injection, which is scheduled for next week.  I asked if they put different amounts of medicine in, or use a stronger type, and she said no.

Well, here's to hoping.

Oh, about Wednesday...  The PT did her initial evaluation and gave me 2 exercises to do.  The first I call "fat-skinny."  I don't know what it's called in real life.  Basically, I get on all fours and keep my back flat. Then I let my stomach hang out and suck it back in.  2 rounds of 20 reps, 2-3 times per day.  The other is "nerve flossing," where I lie on my back, hold my right bent leg behind the knee, then straighten it and stop before there's pain.  I'm not sure she realizes I don't have nerve pain, but whatever.  I'll see whatever other crazy stuff she has me do on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment