Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Dear Adam,

Your witch doctor hurts me.  Also, he is apparently interested in what you were wearing yesterday.

After visiting with CC and lots of the boys at work who have back owies, I was quite sure that CC was completely right about my back.  Why wouldn't he be, right?  It's the old SI joint after all.  Yesterday I visited GD and spoke with him about my revelations.  He agreed and explained that when we got the MRI results, he did not want to aggressively work on the si joint without being sure I wasn't having disc pain.  Apparently, in GD's language "I have no disc pain" is code for "please hurt me as much as possible."  After ultrasounding my back/hip, he dug into my hip and glutes.  There may have even been a flying back elbow move thrown in for fun.  He stuck on the electrodes, zapped me and ended with a little TLC for my discs.  Oh wait, he then ended by adjusting my si joint.

While all this was going on, we had a grand ol' time.  Seriously, I've never had more fun at a hospital than talking to this guy while he tortures me.  He told me a story about our bud, Adam, who referred me to GD.  Evidently GD was being funny that morning and sent Adam a text:  "Hey Sexy, what are you wearing?"  Except that he had misplaced that Adam's phone number and sent it to another Adam, with whom he doesn't have that sort of relationship.  Oops!  Other Adam didn't respond, and we decided that was kind of crappy.  I've received/sent a couple of messages intended for someone else, and it's kind of necessary to acknowledge them.  That way, both parties know a mistake was made and silent awkwardness about it can be replaced with laughter.

Next Thursday I visit the pain dude.  Even though it's been a long wait and there haven't been improvements, I'm glad we finally got the pain narrowed down to the actual problem.

So how do I feel today?  I was hoping yesterday was my miracle cure day, that the adjustment would make it all better.  Suddenly, I would be able to skip and jump and reach for my toes without pain.  Sadly (and as you could probably guess), this is not the case.  In fact, I feel just awful today.  The kind of awful that I would happily commit to recliner-land, never moving from my favorite comfy chair.  However, being the responsible adult that sometimes I wish I weren't, I thought being still, confined, and not moving would probably not be the best idea in the long run.  So I dragged my butt to yoga.  It hurt.  Then I went grocery shopping.  It frustrated me.  I came home and put groceries away.  Originally, I had awakened this morning with grand schemes for what I felt like cooking.  I haven't felt like cooking lately, so I was excited.  Following my morning activities (punctuated by pain, naturally), all I felt like doing was taking a nap.  So I did.  It was glorious.  By the time, Hubs got up (he works nights), I still didn't feel like cooking.  Luckily, I felt obligated to.  I whipped up some chicken breast stuffed with bacon/spinach/cheese and covered with jalapeno cream sauce.  Afterward, I was quite happy with my decision to make dinner because I felt like I had won a small battle in this war between me and the back pain.  Or hip joint pain.  Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment